Yesterday, as part of a national effort by the Occupy movement to occupy our food system, a group of farmers and urban gardeners gathered in various locations throughout Traverse City to discuss the future of food and the growing need for public garden spaces.
Some of the ideas that came out of the meeting included:
- Mapping individual neighborhoods
- Identifying leadership within those communities
- Surveying communities about their needs/wants for a community garden space
- Locating private and public lands available to urban farmers
- Forming an urban farming curriculum
Ideas and volunteers are welcome. Please share here or contact Little Artshram and the Urban Farm Collective.